- Haddam Volunteer Ambulance was founded in 1976 by a group of
concerned private citizens in order to provide an appropriate level of
emergency care to the residents of Haddam and Higganum.
- The ambulance service continues to be run on a volunteer basis, to provide the towns essential medical services to
residents and visitors.
- The volunteer corps now numbers 20 highly trained EMS personnel
who take duty hours 365 days a year including holidays and weekends. Corps
members train monthly and attend special re-certification courses.
- Haddam Ambulance transports over 600 patients from
town each year and also serves as back up for adjacent towns including East
Haddam, Chester, and Killingworth.
- Residents are offered memberships with Haddam Ambulance to help
defray costs of transporting patients, supplies, etc. when insurance coverage
does not reimburse the service.
- No resident or visitor to Haddam and Higganum is ever denied
- Haddam Ambulance corps members volunteer for demonstrations at
school, coverage at sporting events, at Haddam River Days, the Pumpkin Run, the
Lions Club events and the public health fair every year.
- Haddam Ambulance sponsor each year a Little League team and
provides a scholarship to a high school student with plans to study
- The annual fund-raising in November provides the service with
much needed funds to purchase stretchers oxygen tanks and other supplies on the
- Our motto "Friends for Life" has great meaning for us as we
work to provide the finest quality medical care for our friends, neighbors and
visitors at a moment's notice every day of the year.